Recently 2 videos went viral in car world, with same title 0-400-0. For those who are still not aware about what 0-400-0 is, I’ll throw some light on it. 0-400-0 is nothing but speed in kmph. It says, starting from 0 kmph hitting the 400 kmph on speedometer and braking aggressively again back to 0. Pretty simple isn’t it? But what if I told you all these was done under 45 seconds?? Yes under 45 seconds, game changing figures now.
So recently 2 cars fell for this challenge, first the Bugatti Chiron, The main carryover piece from the Veyron is the 8-litre W16 quad-turbocharged engine, though it is heavily updated. The Chiron has 1,103 kW (1,500 PS; 1,479 bhp) of power and 1,600 N·m (1,180 lb·ft) of torque starting from 2000 rpm. Its predecessor Veyron SS makes 220 kW (299 PS; 295 bhp) less than the new Chiron, the Veyron produces 883 kW (1,200 PS; 1,184 bhp).
Like its predecessor, the Veyron, it has a carbon fibrebody structure, independent suspension and a Haldex AWD system. The carbon fibre body has a stiffness of 50,000 Nm per degree.
The Chiron can accelerate from 0–97 km/h (60 mph) in 2.4 seconds according to the manufacturer, 0–200 km/h (120 mph) in 6.5 seconds and 0–300 km/h (190 mph) in 13.6 seconds. In a world-record-setting test, Chiron reached 400 km/h (250 mph) in 32.6 seconds, after which it needed 9.4 seconds to brake to standstill.
The Chiron’s top speed is electronically limited to 420 km/h (261 mph) for safety reasons. The anticipated full top speed of the Bugatti Chiron is believed to be around 463 km/h (288 mph). And it took 42 seconds for 0-400-0.
The other car is the Koenigsegg Agera RS, The Agera is powered by an in-house developed 5.0-litre twin-turbocharged V8 engine which produces 701 kW (940 hp) at 6900 rpm and 1,100 N·m (810 lb·ft) of torque at 4000 rpm. Total weight of the engine is only 197 kg (434 lb) thanks to a carbon fiber inlet manifold and the aluminium construction. The transmission is a 7-speed dual clutch with paddle shifters. It is the first dual clutch transmission to feature only one input shaft. The second clutch slows down the input shaft during up shifts in order to reduce the time it takes to synchronize the next gear, resulting in faster shift times. Most notably, the transmission weighs only 81 kg (179 lb). This car made a world record by smashing the challenge in 36.44 seconds!!
In what aspects are these cars different?
1) The main component is the power house, both the cars are equipped with atleast 900 horses and are not naturally aspirated.
2) The weight of entire vehicle is kept low to reduce all the forces acting on it.
3) The aerodynamics and highly responsive transmission.
4) Traction control and launch control are few add-ons.
5) Specially designed tires to avoid skid or drift while delivering such high amount of torque.
This is what it takes to hit 0-400. Now let us talk about 400-0 (Braking) part.
1) Super ventilated and light weight discs, to stay cool under such intense braking.
2) The abrasive material in callipers should have high value of co-efficient of friction.
3) The rubber used in tyres should be again offering a great traction.
4) To add something extra in braking, air brakes is also used to stop all the 940 and 1500 horses all together!!
Click here to check out the video!!